Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Glassing, LA Style



March 22, 2017

OK.  So it turns out that nobody here has heard of that horrible thing Australia inherited from England.  Yep.  Glassing.

It's a delightful cultural exchange where if somebody says, or does something you don't particularly like, or looks at you the wrong way, then said person will end up with a broken glass smashed in their face.  Thanks, Old Blighty.

You'll be pleased to know that this post has nothing to do with glassing .. well ..  not that kind.

It turns out that my mate DA has a super impressive collection of vintage glass.

ME TOO!!!!  His are elaborately displayed on chrome and glass shelving.  I can't help but think it's almost daring an earthquake to come and do it's business on it.

At least it's being enjoyed (and used).  Mine is packed up in a plastic storage box in my storage unit back home.

DA's doing a bar course, so it seems perfectly natural that he would have such an impressive collection.

I have a huge collection too, however it seems nonsensical that a non-drinker such as myself would even bother with collecting vintage GLASSWARE!!   No, I'm not a recovering alcoholic.  Yes, I'm capable of drinking (probably too capable).  I'll have a drink when it's appropriate (necessary, even).  It's just not that enjoyable to me.

To me the fun part of 'glassing' doesn't involve any broken glass or blood.  It's about collecting cool stuff.  Yet collecting is much more than having the 'stuff' you collected.  It's fun to look at, and to use, sure.  The real thrill about collecting anything is the actual finding of it.  That's what keeps collectors collecting, the strange rush of having found something so cool.

Probably the same feeling that Howard Carter had when he opened Tutankhamen's tomb.


#california #losangeles #DTLA #bunkerhill #vintageglass #retroglass #thebigone #nondrinker #collectables #1950s #1960s #howardcarter #tutankhamen #thrill #travel #solotravel

No comments:

Post a Comment