Monday, May 8, 2017

Shochu've never been here before?



March 29 2017

Now I couldn't say this for all of my friends, but sometimes you make a connection with a friend that is so tight, you can say "any friend of yours is a friend of mine".

And so it is with my friend MR in NYC.  He used to work for many years in LA and he told me that he must hook me up with his good friend N who lives on the West Coast.

We catch up on the phone and as I'm staying quite close to KoreaTown, or K-Town as the locals like to call it, we set up a date.

She recommends DAN SUNG SA.  It's more of a tavern than a restaurant, but it serves Shochu alongside various bar 'snacks'.

What a great night!  The bar looks pretty unassuming from the outside, but step inside and it's all about the wood!  There's a central circular bar surrounded by wooden booths.  Inside the booth it's covered in graffiti.

I leave it up to N to order: she's been here before, and who am I to knock back local knowledge? 

I broke my no alcohol rule and had a shot of sochu with N.   The food was amazing but that small amount of booze was enough for me to forget what kind of dishes there were.  There were a lot.  And it was such a great night.  As my friend MR says, N is a 'hoot'.

Nothing beats being in a new city more than eating great food with a new friend.

I leave the carpark in my car, and start driving on the left hand side of the road... damn you Shochu!!!

#dansungsa #california #losangeles #LA #shochu #koreatown #ktown #newfriends #anyfriendofyoursisafriendofmine #barsnacks #drivingonthewrongsideoftheroad #travel #solotravel

No comments:

Post a Comment