Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Prepping The Christmas Bird ... In April



April 13 2017

BT's good friend E's mother had bought too mamy turkeys for christmas.

Apparently, that's a 'thing'.

So we were pretty chuffed when E showed up with said turkey in hand, wrapped in plastic.

I'm a pretty good cook, having spent most of my early days in Sydney exclusively hanging out with a bunch of chefs, so I volunteered to do the business.

Interestingly there are actually instructions included on how to prep the bird, which is good, because I'm not such an expert at bird-prepping.

Pull out the neck, check.  Pull out the plastic bag of giblets inside the cavity, check.  Phew, thank God I read the instructions.  Nothing makes one lose their appetite more than cooked giblets in melted plastic.

I salted the bird probably more than enough, but I wanted to make sure the skin came out nice and crispy.  Because yuck, who wants soggy goosebumpy bird skin?

Needless to say Brutus was at his usual position: underfoot.  I know he knows I like him the best so I threw him a few little bits of turkey meat (on the condition that he didn't tell the other dogs).  Oh who the hell am I kidding?  Am I turning into one of those people that thinks because they speak English to a dog, that the dog actually understands English?

And that bird?  It came out nice and moist.  No complaints from the peanut gallery.

This was one awesome bird.

#california #inlandempire #travel #solotravel #chicksman #neverenoughsalt #turkey #wrappedinplastic #crispyskin #dogsdontunderstandenglish

No comments:

Post a Comment