Monday, May 8, 2017

Doing ... The Eagle Rock

March 30 2017

I met with my new friend LD today in Glendale to have lunch at his favourite cafe, Bon Vivant.  LD knew the proprietor so she even gave us a discount which was cool.  The food was very good, I ordered a morrocan lamb sandwich with mango, although I probably should've gone with the half sandwich as it was huge.  The owner was pretty happy I liked it because she was considering taking it off the menu.

Later we went back to his house in Eagle Rock.  It's a very nice 1950s house.  He knows that I'm more than a little obsessed with everything mid-century so we went back to his house for cocktails before going to dinner that night.  Naturally as I don't drink the only cocktail I had was coffee with milk. 

This happy snap is from outside his home, which has a great view, and is leafier than you'd expect for something this close to the city.  I'm probably smiling because I really, really, love coffee.

Later that night we ate at the famous Casito del Campo restaurant nearby.  This one has a great story.



The original owner, Rudy Del Campo, was a dancer.  He appeared in three major motion pictures.  A Star Is Born, Stars & Stripes Forever, and West Side Story.  In West Side Story he is a gangmember of The Sharks, a New York gang of Puerto Rican immigrants fighting for their turf.  Like a flash mob they break into dance,  except it's not to house music, it's to Leonard Bernstein's amazing minimal jazz soundtrack. Sadly, Rudy died in 2003, but his second wife Nina has been running the restaurant since 2012.

Overall a great day .. here I am trying to get an Uber home after eating way too much Mexican food.

And yes, it's the twelve millionth picture of me nearly closing my eyes whilst taking a pic.



#california #losangeles #LA #casitodelcampo #westsidestory #mexicanfood #uber #somanypicturesofmewithmyeyesclosed #photophobia #travel #solotravel #friends

No comments:

Post a Comment