Sunday, May 7, 2017

Searching for Old Mexico

March 24 2017

Some of my new LA friends invited me to a day party at their house.

It was very low key, twenty or so people.  It's in a really lovely house in Silver Lake.  I'd been warned that there's no street parking for non residents so I parked a few blocks away.  Had to laugh, a neighbour came out onto the street just as I was entering my friend's house and asked if I had parked in the street.  No, I didn't.  Yes, I'd already been warned.  No, there's no problem that you asked me.  If it was my street I'd probably ask a stranger the same thing.

The birthday party was a great mix of people.  Nobody got out of control (that I was aware of) and it was a really pleasant afternoon.  With an assortment of really delicious cakes.



I photographed this piece of art in the garden, which I particularly loved.   The United States and Mexico, on the same sphere, with a line through it.  Squint your eyes and both sides really look very much the same. 

Despite all the talk of walls, protectionism, racism etc. etc. yawn, yawn, there is one inescapable, and hard-to-forget fact about California.

It used to be Old Mexico.

#california #losangeles #silverlake #backyardparty #newfriends #cake #gardenart #itusedtobeoldmexico #travel #solotravel

No comments:

Post a Comment