Monday, April 24, 2017

Bunkering up on the hill

March 21 2017

Usually, I travel alone.  This comes with pros and cons, of course.  One of the pros is that you are forced to meet people.  In particular, locals.

I've met people who travel in packs and while everyone has different needs, I couldn't imagine anything worse.

Why?

Share your travels with one person and you compromise 50% of your trip.  Travel with two people and compromise 66%.  Travel with ten of your 'closest friends'?   What is wrong with you???! With all of your friends/security blankets in tow, you don't need to meet people. You already have somebody, or multiple somebodies, to talk to.   And in all probability, you most likely won't meet locals at all.

I met DA a few years back in LA.  A great guy, a native Angeleno, and a local.  I'd never seen his condo, so I met up with him in the Bunker Hill towers in DTLA.

I hadn't even stepped inside and I already love this building.  Then, I realise why.  I'm biased towards anything made in 1968.  I was a great year.  Not least of all, because it's the year I was made.

The design is clearly 1960s.  From the clean lines of it's high rise, to the floor to ceiling windows, to the hexagonal shaped gardens and pool, it screams mid century modern.  Admittedly, more recent refurbishments are anything but sympathetic, however, I was thrilled to find DA's space looked the way it's original tenant might have decorated it.

I was also surprised to see that we have a common interest: connecting vintage glassware.

The most fun part about the apartment is the view; on the night I visited the City was clouded in fog, making for a rare view of downtown LA at night.

We headed to Astro Burger for dinner, an awesome old diner with a decidedly Greek feel.

While a view and a burger doesn't sound particularly amazing, the point is that you can only really know a city when you meet the locals.

Sure, you can follow every recommendation made by Lonely Planet, but the odds are you'll only meet all of the other tourists who use the same guide.

Which is fine if your idea of traveling is meeting people from where you came from.

However if you really want to see what's on the down low, I highly recommend shedding your fears about traveling alone.

Grow a pair, and hit the road.

Solo.



#california #losangeles #dtla #bunkerhill #citylights #bunkerhilltower #1968 #midcenturymodern #cityoflights #travel #solotravel

No comments:

Post a Comment