Wednesday, April 19, 2017

71 years old and still flipping burgers

March 17 2017

I like old stuff.  I like new stuff, too.  What's cool about old stuff is that it's stood the test of time. Fads come and go but there's really no 'instant classic'.  Classic status is only awarded to those that stand the test of time.

And so it happens, my room is one block away from something old, and cool.

Tommy's famous hamburgers opened in 1946 in this location (Westlake) and it's the flagship store for what's now a chain of 30 restaurants.

It's just a hamburger stand.  What makes it a classic?  It's still there.

And it's one of the reasons I love L.A.   You might like your stuff too be shiny and new, but not me. Everything is new for about 5 seconds.  Then it's not new anymore.  Give me something with just a modicum of provenance, and I'm all over it like a rash.

Give me a hamburger that's been cooked the same way for over 70 years, over a $20 Wagyu burger any day.

It doesn't get much flippin' better.





No comments:

Post a Comment