Friday, April 21, 2017

Crafty digs in LaLa Land

March 18 2017

So this is my digs in Los Angeles for the next few months.

I found it on Airbnb and it's just awesome.

I'm not as well-versed in American architectural styles as I am with Australian architecture, but I'll give it a go.

It's what's known as a craftsman's house.  It's very similar to the Australian version of the Californian bungalow, but much bigger.

The style giveaway are the square columns either side of the porch, which are wider at the base than they are at the top.

Inside, the house is massive.  The wood detailing is prominent throughout the house; wide doors with side lights, wooden floorboards, and detailed wooden architraves.  There's even a library with custom built wooden cabinetry.

The house is chock-full of authentic wooden furniture.  The style is called Stickley, named after a prominent designer from that period.  There's also a plethora of Tiffany Style lamps throughout the house, which is very tastefully decorated.

Copper is also a recurring theme in fixtures and vents.. I'll do my best to show off some of these in a later post.

If you've read my previous posts you'll know I packed up my own house in Sydney.  I'm kind of a house bond kind of person so I'm absolutely thrilled to have found a home away from home.

I'm shocked to find so many amazing houses so close to the cbd of LA, but again, I'll save my findings about that in a later post.



No comments:

Post a Comment