Wednesday, April 19, 2017

The City of Wheels

March 16, 2017

L.A. is known by a few monikers... The City of Lights, and the City of angels come to mind, but this is also a city that's custom built for cars, so I'm adding one of own: the City of Wheels.

It's no secret you need a car to get around this city.  Nobody seems to walk unless it's from their car to where they're going.  I remember reading a while back that Jim Morrison was seen wandering drunk along the streets of LA but that was back in the 1970s and I'm starting to think he was probably the last guy to do that in this city.*

So these are my wheels for the next few weeks and I intend to wear out these tires as much as possible.  Because who wants to look like Jim Morrison in his final years?  My brother asked me to send a pic of the car.  I think he was hoping it was a Karmann Ghia, but it's not.  Even if I wish it was.

Side note for Aussies planning on hiring a car in the states, book your car from Australia using an Australian website.  It's compulsory for rental cars advertised in Oz to include insurance, but that's not the case in the USA.  That great deal doesn't look so good with a bunch of zeros after the original quote!

So here's to spending more time sitting in this car, than moving.  After all, LA freeways also have their own reputation:: these freeways are often referred to as 'one giant carpark'.


* According to the book "no one gets out of here alive" by Danny Sugerman and Jerry Hopkins


No comments:

Post a Comment