Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Secret Pop Up Coffee Experience

May 13 2017

My mate VR has some friends that are living in the LA Arts District, the new hip up and coming area within DTLA (Downtown Los Angeles).

His friends are actually furniture designers, but once a month they hold a pop up coffee shop in the front space of their factory loft for friends and clients.

It's a secret spot, unavailable to the public without invitation, so of course I jumped at the chance to visit somewhere nobody else is allowed to go.


The spread is pretty simple: a box of donuts and pressed coffee from Stumptown Coffee Roasters.

The barista gives us a complete rundown of their coffee filtration style, origin of beans, etc. etc.

To be frank I'm a huge fan of coffee.  Drinking it, that is.  Where it comes from, where it was made, how much the growers got, it doesn't really float my bean.  It's now my drug of choice, so much so, that I could honestly drink an espresso at 1am and then hit the hay.  It seems now more than ever a lot of people have a "no coffee after 5pm" policy which I think is pretty wussy.  Each to their own, though, of course!

The coffee starts out hot but is put through a series of trendy glass beakers reminiscent of the high school science laboratory before serving.  If it were me, I probably would have heated those glass beakers with hot water first, as it seems the heat came straight out of the coffee and was lukewarm by the time it was served.

However it was free, so there's no way I'm complaining privately about the temperature of the coffee.  Only in public.

The coffee did taste pretty spectacular though, and after inspecting some of the designers' amazing furtniture out the back, and chatting with some of the other patrons, we headed out to meet up with old mate DA in Bunker Hill.

We had to walk past a million stands selling all kinds of Mexican streetfood.  Each bacon wrapped hot dog smelled better than the last, so it was an unusual, self-inflicted kind of torture.

Of course I now have bragging rights to a secret pop up coffee in experience in DTLA for which I will be forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment