Monday, June 19, 2017

Rocking LA with the Brasileiro

May 8 2017

I'm staying in an airbnb and while most of the people that come along are pretty friendly, I clicked in particular with VR, a very cool guy from Brazil.

We'd been hanging out a bit, talking, drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes, and listening to Tame Impala .. the usual stuff.  He hadn't really ventured into downtown LA by day (beyond our foreposted trip to the Japanese Village) so we thought we'd do the touristy thing and check out some of the stuff down there.


We're not technically on Route 66, but we're both rock'n'roll guys, so this seems the most likely place to get our kicks, photo-wise.

We head down to City Hall, to see whether or not it can be fought.  It can't.  But you can take a picture of yourself on the dais, so I figure I'll sum up the zeitgeist of our times: dictatorship (whether real, or imagined .. after all we live in an oligarchy, not a democracy) and strike my best pose.






The view from the top is pretty impressive.  I love that LA is all-sprawl.  There's something great about having a view of the sky from anywhere in the city.  I wonder how long it will last.  It's nice to have a city that doesn't cast shadows on every corner for miles and miles from the centre.

Next stop, the oldest street in Los Angeles: Calle Olvera ... or to the white folks, Olvera Street.  It was saved from demolition in the 1920s with the idea of turning the area into a traditional Mexican style market place.  It had been up to that time dominated by Mexican and Sicilian and Chinese populations.  The Chinese moved on to nearby present day Chinatown to make way for Union Station, our next stop.



There are some beautiful craft stalls, but I'm taken aback by the hand painted tiles.  It's a little obsession of mine.  Don't ask me why because I have no idea what that's about.

After tucking into some fish and chips in China Town, which were decidedly not very Chinese at all (I'm not so fond of Chinese food) we checked out Union Station.  I'm sure we took photos but I can't find them, so ... sorry.

On the way home though we past a beautiful old mid century building covered in the most impressive mosaics I had seen in some time ... again, the tile thing.

I think you'll understand why I loved these so much.  So much detail and colour.  What's not to love?  Still very much loving LA.







No comments:

Post a Comment