Monday, June 19, 2017

Japanese Village Take Two

May 5 2017

Frustrated with our earlier attempt to get some good Japanese food, I hike down to the Japanese Village again for sashimi, take two.  I ask DA if he wants to come and join my new roomie VR to give it another go.

On the way to the village we happen to walk past a K-Pop festival.  That's Korean POP for the uninitiated, and it's actually very cool.  A little too cool, it starts to rain.  I feel bad for the organisers, but, hey: that's life in the big city.  We had no idea it was on... the things you find when you crawl out of the cocoon, huh?  Yes, that's right!  Get off your computer.  Put down your phone.  GET OUT OF THE HOUSE!  NOW!  (after you read this, of course).




It's a little bit chilly out.  Then we turn a corner, and there's the Challenger Space Shuttle!  I'd actually seen it a few years back while in LA, being driven down the road on a very wide truck trailer.  I repeat, these are the things outside your house that you're missing because you live in a cocoon.



We found a great place to eat, the boys had Ramen and Bento, but I was hellbent on getting some raw tuna.  It went down a treat, was very reasonably priced, and we weren't ripped off like we had been the other night.  VR gives it the thumbs up!  Moving-fingers-Brazilian-style.



DA and I want to show VR the bacon donuts, but I dunno, like a lot of things, the first time is the best, and I'm just not in the mood anymore, they've lost their shine.  We do have a geezer around the village and there's some very cool things to see.

Like the reflection of this 1950s astronaut from a Japanese film in the window of a manga store:




 And some uber-cool Edo Period prints for sale in the local Japanese supermarket





Let your fish flag fly!  Then there's those frustrating vending machines where you can spend $100 buying some dumb cute plush toy that would only cost $5, except for the fact that this game is TOTALLY RIGGED!!! LOL  I mean are your kids going to be really thrilled that you bought them a plush loaf of bread?? (it's possible...)


It was a pretty fun night all in all, I got my raw fish, and I'm satisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment